Here we are. Already at New Years Eve, ready to welcome 2016 in about 11 hours.
2015 has been a great year. I've been reflecting a lot over the last few days, mostly because my jeep was broken and I have spent a lot of time alone in my apartment. Usually around this time of year, I find myself thinking about all the things I did over the past year, and what I want to change for next year. However, this year has been different - I've been thinking a lot about what other people did, and how I strive to be brave/smart/strong like they are.
Like Missy. Missy hates running, but she made a New Years resolution last year to run every single month. And before my very eyes, my friend who refused to run became a runner. She also got dealt two terrible dude situations, and handled it with the grace and maturity that Missy handles everything. I admire her.
And my brother. John wasn't happy in his marriage, but he hates conflict more than any person I know. He finally summoned up the courage, told his wife, and now he is so happy it's actually rather disgusting. He is proof that five minutes of courage can equal happiness.
There are so many people in my life who impress me every day. Amy, who is a single mom and still rocks it out at the gym every day, and wants to inspire others to do the same. Jordan, who somehow manages a schedule I can't even fathom and is the most positive, loving person I know. Zach, who puts his daughter above everything else. My sister Kate, who just rocks out everything she tries.
My New Years resolution is to continue to find people who are amazing and surround myself with them. And also to be more observant, cause I still lose my jeep every single time I park at Hyvee.
Tuesday, December 15, 2015
2015 was the year...
- I ran 12 5ks. Not the most miles I've ran in a calendar year, but definitely the most organized races I've done. And side by side with my best friend. (Well, behind my best friend...girlfriend is fast.)
- I started kickboxing. I joined Farrell's in April, and I still absolutely love it. I seriously want to be a fighter. No, seriously. Quit rolling your eyes. You can be a lover AND a fighter.
- I got four new family members (and lost one, but never mind to that). John finally officially brought Kim 2.0 into the family, along with her two great kids. And Nicole and Eric brought little Quinn into the world, who gets cuter each time I see her.
- I got obsessed with, then annoyed with, zombies. I binge watched The Walking Dead so much that I started having dreams (well, nightmares) about zombie attacks. Then I hit a spot where the stupid sounds and the way they move annoyed the piss out of me. So I watched everything on Netflix, but have yet to start the current season that is all on my DVR. I need a little break.
- I started using products from It Works, and started getting all the fruits and veggies I need in during the day. I feel better than ever!
- I didn't get a promotion at work. I tried for it, and for a hot second I really thought I wanted it. I was upset when I didn't get it. But then stuff started happening, and I realized it was a true blessing in disguise I didn't get it. Wow. Dodged a bullet there.
- I turned down a job. About the time I didn't get promoted, I started throwing my name around for other jobs. I got an interview, and then I got an offer. But it didn't feel right, and it didn't feel like the right time to leave my students, so I turned it down. But it's nice to be wanted.
- My grandma died. I still have moments where this fact is still processing. Especially when weird things happen, like the glass from a frame with her picture in it mysteriously falls in the middle of the night.
- I run at Disney World.
- I lose the weight I've put back on. (While not being crazy about it...I need to find a good balance.)
- I continue with Farrell's.
- I slow down and be more observant with the things around me.
- I'll run another half marathon (I'll just spend the entire thing chasing John and Kim).
- I'll go see my aunt again and not go into a depression when I have to come back to Nebraska.